Wednesday, March 5, 2014

ALL CLEAR

This past week was a big one for Jaimie and myself... We both had brain MRIs.

Up until this point, I never really was able to empathize with Jaimie as she went through her treatments and checkups. Of course, I gave her my utmost sympathy and respect, but was never able to truly understand what she was going through... Until now.

Since Jaimie has to get a brain MRI every three months to check for the recurrence of her tumor, I figured it was routine; not a big deal.

I was wrong.

This past week I got my fifth concussion. Instead of it being from soccer like it normally is, my clumsy self slipped and fell on ice. Being overly cautious, I decided that since this is concussion #5, I should get my head checked out...

An MRI of the brain isn't easy. In fact, it's rather terrifying - and I'm 20 years old. I can't even imagine how Jaimie feels, being half my age, and having to do this four times a year rather than just once in her lifetime.

The process sounds simple, but it is far from it. My experience was truly eye opening, and allowed me to feel for Jaimie things I never thought I'd ever truly understand.

First, you have to dress for the occasion: All jewelry removed, no zippers, no metal bra underlining, and no buttons.

Second, you receive ear-plugs, a neck brace, and head cushion. I wasn't scared until this moment. Ear-plugs? For what? That wouldn't help my concussion...

Third, you lay still, completely immobile, for twenty minutes - minimum. You move an inch just once, and you have to sit for 5 minutes until they redo that segment. For me, I sat for probably an extra fifteen minutes. Laying down may seem like nothing, but it's a near impossible feat. I can't even imagine Jaimie, the girl with the most energy in the world, being confined to a table for that amount of time.

Oh, did I mention you are trapped? Literally, inside a giant tube, also known as the MRI machine, that is definitely no more than one foot tall and two feet wide. Being claustrophobic is not an option. I opted to keep my eyes closed the whole time, because opening them would surely lead me to experience a panic attack. And yes, the ear plugs were necessary. It was the loudest half hour of my life.

I haven't gotten the results yet, but hopefully they come back the same as Jaimie's... ALL CLEAR.

I forgot to mention that? Sorry. YES JAIMIE IS STILL CANCER FREE! It's an amazing and relieving moment to hear the words, "The MRI came out clean" and the Ferretti family is surely celebrating this special occasion. So, if you can, give them a huge congratulations! And remember, each part of their journey is harder than you can ever imagine - even something so seemingly routine as an MRI. This all just reinforces how strong the family is.


Live in the moment, play in the moment.

3 comments:

  1. So, it turns out I know Jaimie's dad -- weird, huh? He did electrician work on my house! I didn't realize Jaimie was his daughter until you said her last name.
    Anyway, I loved the way you opened your post this week because it really made me want to keep reading, and the entire time I was praying that the both of you were going to be alright in the end (still holding out for you, Amanda). Also, I liked the list paragraphs that started with transition words, like Second, Third, etc., because they were so easy to follow. Annnnnd I also like your little post from earlier in the week, that was a good addition to spice it up and to make your followers aware of something that was going on. It really made your blog more personal and engaging.
    Can't wait for next week (and you'd better tell us your MRI results because I'm stressin').

    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This week, I really like how you connect your situation to Jaimie’s. I can feel the respect and admiration that you have for Jaimie with each post, and this post is certainly no exception. Your title is catchy this week (as usual), forecasting what is to come, while reassuring your readers. Though the title slightly confused me at first, your first line cleared it up immediately. I agree with Steph that your opening makes the audience want to keep reading. The contradicting “until now…” and “I was wrong” signal that the readers will hear of a complicated experience. As Steph also mentioned, the step-by-step paragraphs are very effective—readers see your emotions during each stage of the MRI. You have included small details that keep the post lighthearted and even, humorous. I too have had an MRI and can identify with how scary it is (especially because I am claustrophobic). As you say, I could never imagine having such a procedure four times a year. Just looking at the picture of the MRI machine makes me nervous. That picture is effective, though, because I am sure that readers who have never had MRIs could more fully visualize how you felt. I am happy to hear that Jaimie is cancer free; the Facebook screenshot is a nice personal touch. I certainly hope that your results come out “clean,” as well. In future posts, I would like to see more of the connection between you and Jaimie. I would be interested to see her interaction with you personally. Anecdotes from fellow teammates would add depth, as well. On a side note, your IHOP post is a cool addition to this week’s post. The dedication that you and your team show towards Jaimie is inspiring. Great job!

    -CC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda,

    First of all, I hope everything went well for you and you are "All Clear"!! I can't even begin to imagine how terrifying the brain scan must have been. The structure of this post really helped to emphasize how you were feeling during the whole process by using short, choppy paragraphs that cut right to the chase. I also like the tone that you use which gives a very personal vibe and lets us feel like we were all waiting in the waiting room as you went in for the brain scan. That is not an easy thing to do, but you did an awesome job of achieving it.

    I like the incorporation of the photos with thick white borders. The photo of the machine makes the whole post more real rather than just telling us about it. As we read, it feels like we are walking into the room looking at it- dreading it, just as you were.

    Overall, I really cannot think of anything for you to change. This post was awesome as it conveyed strong emotion, used photos to do so, and even incorporated Jaimie's family instead of just talking about how Jaimie feels about the brain scans which most people probably would have done. The only thing I could think of would be to maybe bold or italicize the "First, Second, etc" to make it pop more. Otherwise, awesome job and again, I hope everything went okay!!!

    -Renee

    ReplyDelete